REPs understands that there are numerous prospective members who have the expertise and/or experience in the fitness sector but no recognised qualification to gain entry on to REPs. These may include individuals with:
- International qualifications
- Higher education degrees
- Qualifications more than 5 years old
- Years of experience but no formal qualification
Because the training or experience that you have undergone is not REPs recognised, we are unable to verify that you have met the relevant National Occupational Standards (NOS). However we do have a route to ensure that you can meet the NOS and attain a full Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) qualification: Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL).
APL is a process that gives individuals with related learning and experience the opportunity to go straight to assessment without undertaking an entire qualification. This process is carried out by a Test Centre, which is a training provider accredited by an Awarding Organisation (AO) to deliver their qualifications.
In order for you to gain certification at the level you require, the centre must be satisfied that you have the necessary underpinning knowledge and skills to meet the performance and knowledge criteria that are specified in the NOS and which are needed to achieve a pass when you undertake the assessment.
Once you have selected a Test Centre, they should provide you with:
- A detailed breakdown of what you should know (knowledge specific to the qualification you require)
- A detailed breakdown of the performance criteria/assessment observation checklist
- An interview/discussion to assess whether you have the appropriate knowledge, competence and skills to pass the relevant assessment
- Literature and discussion to ensure that you fully understand the evidence requirements i.e. what is expected to pass
- An action plan: if it is not appropriate for you to go straight to assessment due to identified gaps in your knowledge or skills you may be advised to take part in all or part of an existing training programme or distance learning course. The cost of this will be outside of the test fee and will need to be negotiated with the training centre.
Materials/literature relating to assessment e.g. observation checklists, performance and knowledge criteria etc will be included in the Test Centre cost and has been agreed for this scheme (see below).
Following the above guidance, the centre will make a judgement on whether you can go straight to assessment or should undergo some more training before being assessed.
This can often be a difficult decision, but the centre will not push you into further training if it is not necessary nor will they set you up to fail an assessment you are not ready for. To ensure that the right decision is made all assessment criteria will be provided and discussed. Decisions should be negotiated and agreed with the centre and most importantly documented and signed by both parties.
Once the assessment is passed the centre will provide you with the AO qualification certificate which can then be used to join the Register.
Test Centre Assessment Fees
The following fees are for assessment only, and will incur VAT.
- Level 2 Gym (£350)
- Level 2 Exercise to Music (£350)
- Level 2 Aqua (£350)
- Level 2 Health Related Exercise for Children (£350)
- Level 3 Personal Trainer (£550)
- Level 3 Pilates (£550)
- Level 3 Older Adults (£550)
- Level 3 Disability £550)
- Level 3 Pre-Post Natal (£550)
- Level 3 Exercise Referral (£550)
If further training is required there will be an additional cost. Learning and training materials/resources can be charged in addition to the above fees.
SkillsActive approved Test Centres
Visit the Quality Training Portal to find a SkillsActive endorsed provider who can take you through the Test Centre process. Simply insert a relevant word ie gym, music, personal trainer, into the Keyword Box and select ‘qualification’ under Training Type. This will result in a list of endorsed providers able to assess you in your chosen qualification.