What to look for when choosing qualifications
When choosing a qualification to join REPs or gain an additional level of membership, look out for the REPs Training Provider badge, issued by PD:Approval to all REPs-recognised training providers.
PD:Approval is an independent quality assurance organisation contracted by REPs to kitemark education for REPs members. If you choose a provider without REPs recognition it is important to confirm with them that you will receive a certificate from an awarding organisation (AO) that is recognised by REPs and approved by Ofqual, once you have successfully completed the qualification. Without this certificate you may not be able to gain entry to REPs or gain another level of membership as we won’t know the standard of the qualification gained.
100% Online Qualifications
REPs and PD:Approval do not recognise 100% online qualifications to gain entry or an additional level on the register. We have set our own parameters, which state that the minimum requirement for recognition of qualifications is:
At least one full day workshop to deliver the practical element of the qualification and an observed assessment.
20 hours’ work experience with a REPs professional in a gym setting with a portfolio of evidence signed off by the gym manager, verified at each stage by the training provider.
PD:Approval has endorsed over 2000 pieces of continuing professional development (CPD), which are advertised through the PD:Portal. All endorsed training providers display the REPs CPD point and REPs Training Provider logos, as well as the PD:Approval Endorsed logo.
The benefit of undertaking PD:Approval-endorsed CPD is:
• All training endorsed by PD:Approval for the health and fitness industry is recognised by REPs
• All endorsed training goes through a rigorous quality assurance process
• All endorsed training providers are quality assured annually
• Endorsed training awards up to 16 CPD points to REPs members
• All endorsed training over 8 hours will have a formal assessment
• All endorsed training covering areas not underpinned by a fitness qualification will have a formal assessment
• All endorsed training is covered by REPs insurance (if you don’t have REPs insurance, please check with your own provider)
• PD:Approval will support you if you experience any issues that cannot be resolved with the endorsed training provider*
* If your issue is about a qualification you are undertaking, you need to contact the awarding organisation.
Checklist for choosing training:
• Check that training is listed on the PD:Portal
• Make sure that the qualification is not 100% online – there must be a practical element with either a REPs professional or the tutor
• Look out for the PD:Approval and REPs logos below
• Check the refund policies before signing up
• Check that you have the right amount of tutor support
Logos to look out for:
Qualifications and Awards:
Qualifications sit on the Regulated Qualification Framework (RQF) and are delivered by a training provider which has been approved by the qualification’s awarding organisation. Awarding organisations are accredited by Ofqual and are responsible for all quality assurance in regard to their approved training providers. Your certificate of achievement is issued by the awarding organisation and will have their logo on it.
Industry awards map to the same standards as awarding organisation qualifications but are endorsed by PD:Approval for REPs recognition. PD:Approval is responsible for all quality assurance in regard to endorsed industry award providers. Your certificate of achievement will be issued by the training provider and will have their logo along with the REPs and PD:Approval Endorsed logos.
Notice to REPs members:
Please note that REPs WILL NOT accept a qualification delivered by a non-REPs recognised training provider without an awarding organisation logo on the certificate. Please ensure that before you enrol you get confirmation that you will receive a certificate from an awarding organisation without having to pay additional fees.
The following qualifications are not recognised and will not give you entry onto REPs.
This list is not extensive as it is not possible to list qualifications which are not known to REPs. All training providers offering qualifications recognised by REPs are listed on our PD:Portal.
• BSY PT and Gym are not accepted
• BTEC National Diploma/BTEC Higher National Diploma
• Hypnotherapy Centre of Excellence
• Physiotherapy degrees
• Pilates Institute qualifications are not accepted unless sent with a recognised RQF Awarding Organisation (AO) certificate
• Pilates Foundation qualifications are not accepted unless sent with a recognised RQF AO certificate
• Stonebridge College qualifications are not accepted unless sent with a recognised RQF AO certificate
• STOTT Pilates qualifications are not accepted unless sent with a recognised RQF AO certificate
• Zumba qualifications are not accepted unless sent with a recognised entry RQF AO certificate
Training Providers not recognised
This list shows training providers who are displaying REPs and/or CPD point logos but who have not been quality assured through our endorsement process, are no longer endorsed, or who have had their endorsement terminated as a result of sanctions.
The following providers are not recognised by REPs as endorsed providers. Any CPD training they offer is not recognised and learners will not receive CPD points or be covered by their REPs insurance:
• Train Together Fitness
• Bokwa Fitness