REPs is an independent public Register which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK. One of our key functions is to provide a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the health and fitness industry’s agreed national occupational standards.
Membership of REPs provides assurance and confidence to consumers, employers and the health professions that all registered exercise professionals are appropriately qualified and have the knowledge, competence and skills to perform specific roles.
Members are acknowledged for their:
- adherence to the industry’s nationally recognised standards
- ongoing education.
Members are bound by a Code of Ethical Conduct and hold appropriate public liability insurance.
In order to remain on the Register, members must continue to meet the standards that are set for their profession through Continual Professional Development (CPD).
To gain recognition by the Register of Exercise Professionals, instructors must provide evidence that they meet the National Occupational Standards. These standards are produced by SkillActive, the Sector Skills Council for Active Leisure & Wellbeing, who represent the needs of the industry agreed by employers and other stakeholders.
Who are our members?
Membership is open to all exercise and fitness professionals who work as:
- Gym instructors
- Aqua teachers
- Group Exercise to Music instructors
- Personal trainers
- Yoga teachers
- Pilates instructors
- Exercise Referral instructors
- Instructors working with special populations
- Exercise Movement & Dance Partnership (EMDP) teachers
- Cardiac Rehab Phase IV Exercise Instructors
- Postural Stability Instructors (PSI)
- Lower Back Pain Instructors
- Remedial Instructor (Military Only)
Membership also allows for the transferability of skills throughout the UK, across participating countries in Europe and around the world.
Who owns REPs?
REPs is owned by SkillsActive, the Sector Skills Council for Active Leisure and Wellbeing. We are a charity (registration number 1098336) and administered through a not-for-profit company limited by shares (Company registration number 4661021).
REPs was established in 2002 to:
- Provide clarification and recognition of qualifications that meet agreed national standards available in the fitness industry
- Provide confidence in the quality of services provided by fitness professionals
- To protect the public from individuals who do not meet nationally recognised standards.